SailNet Community - View Single Post - Capabilities of a Catalina 27
View Single Post
post #12 of Old 10-12-2004
cptchrisconnolly

Capabilities of a Catalina 27

Hi, I have owned a Catalina 27 for the last 5 years, and it was my first boat. I didn’t know anything about boats. Nothing. I took a few lessons like your self, loved it! I beat the crap out of that boat, I mean I abused it. That was when I was 15. I sailed with friends with full sail in 30 knots, over-nighter at 16 to NYC with out permission. I mean really the boat blessed me. I learned a lot from that boat.
Now I do ocean deliveries and I’ve got to be in one of the highest brackets in terms of licensing available. I am buying a new boat, a Fast Passage 39 “Moonshine”. Which I plan on sailing off into oblivion with. But I owe it all to the C-27 for teaching me the basic skills and fundamentals. If you have problems fighting the helm “weather helm” take some sail down. I go out on 30 kt days by my self and I hang off the forestay, watching everyone struggle with a full crew. The boat steers itself upwind with balanced sails. THANKS DOYLE.
Bottom line “It’s just a boat, not the space shuttle” so if you like it and it feels right when you step on it, just get the damn thing and have fun.

Little side note******** Some crazy sailed one around the world through the southern ocean so keep things in perspective. And always remember to wear lifejackets if you’re scared.

-Chris Connolly
Quote Share with Facebook

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome