SailNet Community - View Single Post - Portable Generator
View Single Post
post #1 of Old 02-23-2009 Thread Starter
S/V Sabbatical
Portable Generator

I got great advice in my last post about upgrading my batteries to 3 12 volt wallmart 110 Ah batteries. That leaves me with about $700 to upgrade my charging solution which is currently a 55 amp alternator on the front of my 1976 Westerbeak 40.

Originally I was thinking about wind or solar, but my budget doesn't really seam large enough to make a dent in my power needs (100-150 amps per day) with wind or solar. Last night I found a few portable generators on amazon for under $200 which would leave plenty of money to buy gasoline and maybe even another battery. I know some will recommend buying a honda portable, but at $800 I could buy four chinese knockoffs for the same price.

Is there any problem using a cheapo gasoline generator to charge the house batteries aside from noise and explosion risks?

What would I need to check in the generators specs? Does it need to produce DC current? How many amps would be desirable?

What else would I need to connect a portable generator to charge the house batteries? I imagine it is a little bit more complex than hooking some alligator clips to the batteries.
Quote Share with Facebook
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome