SailNet Community - View Single Post - Portable Generator
View Single Post
Old 02-23-2009

scottyt is on a distinguished road
well the batteries are a good start

as for the genny, i had one, bought it at pep boys for 150. it worked for a while, a good long while, infact it still runs but i think the sea air got to the genny end. the problems are is they are not near as fuel effecent as a honda when it come to gas. it also had much more vibrations than a honda, and was noisier too.

i would look on craigslist for a honda, and you can find em for 700 new if you look ( the 1000I). honestly if you can break the bank and buy some solar. 200 watts will give you about 85 amps a day. just for knowledge 150 watts will give you about 65 amps a day

edit i just read you think you need 100 to 150 amps a day, you need to get some led lights, each 10 watt bulb you replace will give you about 5 amp hours back if you use the light 6 hours a day. also 100 amps a day is a lot. also you need to look at the price for a decent charger, they cost money too, and unless you run what ever genny you get for 10 hours a day a 15 amp one wont cut it. solar saves you from having to buy a big charger

Last edited by scottyt; 02-23-2009 at 11:53 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook