SailNet Community - View Single Post - Any advice on fractional ownership?
View Single Post
Old 02-24-2009

sab30 is on a distinguished road
Beneteau fractional ownership

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delirious View Post
A friend of mine went through this and he soon soured of it. When his turn can up there'd be moldy food in the iceless icebox, a full holding tank, no water in the freshwater tanks or diesel in the fuel tank, broken equipment, etc. He got out of it after two seasons.

It obviously depends on how you choose your partners.
I hope 4 months isnt reviving an old post...anyways I think the information provided here is assuming a private fractional agreement. I know a friend who is involved with the Beneteau fractional program and in retrospect I would have went this way for our first boat.

Four way split on a pre-ordered model with full options...1 week a month for 12 months (We never used our own boat for 12 weeks..more like 8 cumulative)..cleaning and maint agreement between owners (always a clean well kept boat) all four owners have a vested interest in the boats upkeep.

This isnt a plug for them as our plans are for 2-3 yr liveaboard cruising but in retrospect I would have saved 75% on our first boat (including depreciation) and and used it as much as we did..with even 4 more weeks available...for a 3 yr contract

I really think this type of arrangement is going to be the way of the future unless you need the boat more than one week a year, live on it, or just have to have your OWN boat and eat the 75% savings. Too many people seem to feel guily taking vacations elsewhere as so many funds are being allocated to "the boat" I think Beneteau's new deal offers the best of both worlds for the coastal cruiser who wants ownership...IMHO

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sab30
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook