SailNet Community - View Single Post - High Output Alternators
View Single Post
post #4 of Old 10-13-2004
sailnaway

High Output Alternators

I was crusin this summer and I bought a new battery bank three batteries and an alt.
the batteries were two AMG 31 and a led acid 31 I know they should be the same but the led acid is isolated and not the house. Anyway I bought a Balmar with the brain it is an expensive little bugger,the problem with it is it never worked I left port and while it looked cool and showed voltage by that evening it was deadand so were my new batteries. Back on went the old 35 amp alt. I installed a disconnect on the cranking battery so I can put all the charg to the house batteries as the cranking bat needs very little charging. The Balmar may be very goog but why a company would make a system to charge only if the brain box works is beyond me it puts out no voltage at all without the box so if that dies so do your batteries. I returned the thing and have had no problems since and I went for almost two weeks without a dock.I am careful to always leave one battery full the cranking battery. The AMG batteries are great so far about three months old and holding well.
Quote Share with Facebook

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome