SailNet Community - View Single Post - High Output Alternators
View Single Post
Old 10-13-2004

sailnaway is on a distinguished road
High Output Alternators

I was crusin this summer and I bought a new battery bank three batteries and an alt.
the batteries were two AMG 31 and a led acid 31 I know they should be the same but the led acid is isolated and not the house. Anyway I bought a Balmar with the brain it is an expensive little bugger,the problem with it is it never worked I left port and while it looked cool and showed voltage by that evening it was deadand so were my new batteries. Back on went the old 35 amp alt. I installed a disconnect on the cranking battery so I can put all the charg to the house batteries as the cranking bat needs very little charging. The Balmar may be very goog but why a company would make a system to charge only if the brain box works is beyond me it puts out no voltage at all without the box so if that dies so do your batteries. I returned the thing and have had no problems since and I went for almost two weeks without a dock.I am careful to always leave one battery full the cranking battery. The AMG batteries are great so far about three months old and holding well.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook