SailNet Community - View Single Post - Cal 20 in Vancouver, BC
View Single Post
Old 02-24-2009

serah is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to serah
We've arranged to have Land's End Surveyors out of Saanich come and take a look at her on Saturday morning when she's hauled and being power washed. Seems a bit silly to spend 10% of the value of the boat on a survey, but I'm not crossing the Straight in an unfamiliar boat in the middle of winter without one. And really, it's only $250. Also, if we do get into Burrard Civic (which the fellow I spoke with there thinks is likely) we need to have a 2 million dollar 3rd party liability insurance coverage, which requires a survey anyway.

I'm keen to have someone's opinion on the squishy deck as well. It just doesn't seem right to me. Structurally, I think it's fine, as all the way around the sheerline for a couple of inches in, and for a good foot at the very bow, she's solid, and doesn't flex. As Faster mentioned, there's a very high camber to the deck (which is quite annoying when she's moored, as walking about is awkward, but I imagine it'll be very comfortable when she's over on a 15 degree heel) Doesn't water damage usually occur where water pools, such as along the toe rail? The water would just run right off this bit of the deck, making me doubt it's water damage. When tapped, it has the same "tone" all across the flexible and rigid parts... What do I know though? That's why we've hired a surveyor!

Didn't post this link before, but here's what she'll look like when she's cleaned up - 1977-Swiftsure-24-Valley Boat Brokers-boat- sailboat-sailing-boating-okanagan-penticton-vernon-summerland-peachland-mercruiser-volvo penta-water craft-sport-fishing-bowrider-keel boat-fly bridge-command bridge-sun bridge-power-ron spence-kent hardist

She is a bit small down below for her size, mostly because the quarter berths don't extend back under the cockpit as they do in most boats. The battery sits on the port side, and I can't remember what was in the starboard side. The lazarette hatches aren't big enough to access the fore end of the lockers, so I think there's a bit of wasted space there. The cockpit is relatively small actually. Anyway, as fond as we are of company, and though we fully intend to take friends and family out for day/evening sails, we have little intention of using her to sleep 4 as she's intended. We may convert one of the quarter berths to extend the galley, or a tiny table.

Thanks Faster for the explanation on the rigging. Though the boy and I both come from a racing background (and we do hope to do some racing with her) me thinks that most of the time they'll be left as they are. I'll post some pics hopefully before we take her out on the weekend.

The moorage is starting to be a bit of a roulette game. Month to month at Reed point is pricey (~ $340) but we may do that and hold out 'til end of March for Burrard for a six month term, when the next kink, which is a likely move to Victoria will factor in. *sigh* And then we're back to finding moorage for her - again. Driving downtown won't be a factor (for me at least!), as I live here already. I can walk to the boat in a little over half an hour. If we do stay out at Reed Point, and want weekend sailing, it's likely we'd take her out to English Bay on the Thursday night and keep her on the hook, and sail out from there Friday.