SailNet Community - View Single Post - Bareboat charter companies in the BVI
View Single Post
Old 02-24-2009

mvyflyer is on a distinguished road
Bareboat charter in the BVI's

I would stay away from Sunsail. Their maintenance is pathetic. I have had two bad boats from them and personally know others with similar stories. There is really no excuse for broken and missing equipment on the boat at the dock when you arrive. They claim a 4 hour guarantee response time for problems and they will give you a credit for lost time on a 'future' charter. That's just in case you wanted to give them more money in the future for another hassle. You won't get any money back for your lost time. Do you want to spend your vacation calling for maintenance every day? Their 'guarantee' is a scam and an excuse for bad maintenance. Their contract states your yacht will be fully commissioned and ready for service on the day your charter starts but don't bet on it. I could give you a list of things that were pathetically wrong with both boats but there is not enough room here. I have been sailing for 40 years and have a USCG 100ton license. I have chartered from multiple bareboat companies around the world. There are better charter companies than Sunsail. Moorings, Sunsail, and Footloose are all owned by the same parent company now so it's a gamble. If you charter from anyone, you deserve to get what you paid for and not a poorly maintained wreck. Do you homework and you will be happy.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook