Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: chesapeake bay
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 8
great day working on the boat
well some of you might have read my bilge pump switch thread. the main reason for that thread was some leaks i had, causing some water to come in to the boat. first was my shaft packing, it would drip every few seconds while sitting. the other was my water seal on the water pump, it was pretty bad when i had the hull intake open with out the motor running it was literally a small stream running in.
so today i put in new gtu packing, a new oil seal and water seal on my water pump, a new impeller and a new ultima auto bilge pump switch. a dry boat is a good and happy thing.
the packing really sucked because i did not have enough room from the coupler to the packing nut to back it off. so i had to unbolt the motor mounts and slide the whole motor forward with the shaft, once i did that i had room. the funny thing is my motor mounts sit on a big steel angle iron 6 inches per side bolted to the sides of the engine compartment not a bed glassed to the hull. the real nice thing is the angle iron is at the same angle as the shaft so it was easy to get the alignment back. i just opened the decompression lever and turn the motor over using the hand crank, with the bolts a little bit lose. when it did this the motor moved until it was happy. it now vibrates less before, now it is just the single lunger not being a very smooth motor
just for general knowledge its a 1gm yanmar