SailNet Community - View Single Post - Pacific Seacraft
View Single Post
Old 02-27-2009

Winderlust is on a distinguished road
Go for a PS Orion 27'

kwalt, for what it's worth:

I had a PS Orion 27' cutter for 11 years until 1998 when I had to sell her. I would do just about anything now to get one back. Currently I sail a 10 foot dink sloop. I single handed my Orion to Santa Cruse Isl. off Ventura, CA for many multi nighters on hook and got caught in more than one Santa Ana event, 40+ with tight steep waves, in the Channel at night and in the day.

I always felt secure in my Orion, with it's real bilge, full keel and cut away foot. Crealock's name is not on it, but Pacific Seacraft sure learned from their relationship, with him. The Layup, joinery and hardware are classic PS.

There are Orions out there for sale and if you have a chance at one, I believe you will find them the best compromise of space and seaworthyness of any 27'. With good wind, it's a pretty fast little tank. Most do have their share of brightwork above: companion way, dorrad boxes, hand holds, rubrail, railcap, sampsons, etc; for good or bad.

Now for the blemish. A boat of that small stature that was built with much of the heavy stuff needed for a larger cruiser, put to starboard: galley, batteries, diesel fuel, and stuff gave it a slight list to stb. That required 150 lbs of lead bricks stashed low behind the port seatee to stand straight. Lead is pretty compact, as you can imagine, so as a cruiser, I never gave it a thought.

The cockpit is spacious, wine glass transom and good swim later, with a wheel helm. Mine was the standard qtr. berth to port and good size nav station stb; great storage all around. It had a trusty little 27 hp Yanmar and the hank on cutter rig made it a classic sailor, much cheaper than a BCC. Great boat! What can I say it was my only real cruiser. And now, as it turns out, love.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook