SailNet Community - View Single Post - Mid -sized sailboat wanted
View Single Post
Old 10-19-2004

WHOOSH is on a distinguished road
Mid -sized sailboat wanted

Aspy:

For your kind of post, offering a direct email address would probably be a good idea - even if it''s only a Sailnet address that limits the size of the reply.

I''ve owned none of those boats but read and observed interesting things about all of them, and the main distinction that stands out for me is how different were the circumstances of the four builders. Two of those builders were very small operations that had limited success and never really standardized their production (Aloha & Cabot) while two come from builders that were consistently well thought of and had a long track record (Niagara and C&C). I have to wonder if you''re being overly influenced by the designer & design of these boats (never a bad thing when kept in perspective...) and not sufficiently influenced by the realities of the boats which were built.

It would seem you like Ted Brewer''s work and perhaps should come up with another builder - or two - who produced Ted''s designs but with more reliability.

FWIW I thought the Cabot 36 was especially innovative, seaworthy and handsome...but the owners I talked with surely had fits with the quality. It''s a good example of how a builder can start with a good design but the true test is whether the builder can fully capitalize on its potential.

Jack
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook