SailNet Community - View Single Post - Thoughts on a mid size cruising boat
View Single Post
Old 10-20-2004

FRRizzo111 is on a distinguished road
Thoughts on a mid size cruising boat

My wife and I have just begun the search for a cruising boat. We donít want anything too big, Iím thinking in the range of 28-34 feet. We are more interested in comfort and easy of sailing than speed. We will be using it on the Chesapeake Bay. My wife put a priority on a decent bed in the stateroom and a nice size bathroom with shower. As for room for other guest, it would be nice if it were comfortable enough for two kids or two guest also for a weekend. But we would not be doing too much extended cruising, just weekends. Right now we have a 21 foot Precision, which we love but overnights are somewhat tight and little too close to camping.

As for sailing capabilities, parts of the Chesapeake can get real shallow so draft is an issue. I have taken cruising courses and have sailed several boats 30+ feet in length and am comfortable with my abilities. Not looking for a complicated boat to sail or maintain. Just looking for a fun boat to enjoy weekend sails on.

Any ideas or thoughts would be appreciated. Again this is just the beginning of my search so Iím prepared to cast a wide net for now, to look and trying boats out to see what works best for my family and me.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook