SailNet Community - View Single Post - Outboard length from mounting bracket to bottom of skeg?
View Single Post
Old 03-01-2009

blizzman is on a distinguished road
Outboard length from mounting bracket to bottom of skeg?

I need to purchase an outboard for my (new to me) 1973 Pearson 26. I know a long shaft is recommended to help keep the prop in the water when the waves are up. But, after looking at the CAD drawings of the P26 rudder on Dan Pfeiffer’s site, I have to wonder if a long shaft might get in the way of the rudder. The rudder flares back beyond the transom a bit.

I took a tape measure and measured from the top of the transom down to where I could feel the rudder directly below. The best I can tell, there seems to be about 30” to 31” of clearance before I hit the rudder.

Anyone know if a 20” long shaft engine when mounted, would measure less than 30” from the mounting bracket to the bottom of the skeg? Or is there too much difference between the models? (I’m looking at purchasing a 2008 Nissan 9.9 long shaft (20”). And yes, I know that outboard is worth about as much as the boat is.) None of the outboard MFG sites have that measurement listed.

Any advice would be appreciated!

Thanks!

blizzman
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook