SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

West Systems six10 epoxy

5K views 7 replies 8 participants last post by  mitiempo 
#1 ·
Has anyone had any experience with this product yet? It seems really cool. A cartridge that has resin and hardener in it, and the two mix completely in a mixer in the nozzle.

Its pretty pricey at $20.50 a cartridge, but for me might be sent from heaven, since I have to remove all my stanchions and both genoa tracks and then refill each hole with epoxy, then redrill. It would save me all kinds of headaches.

#3 ·
This past spring I had everything off the boat for painting so I did just this, except with the regular epoxy mixing. I do admit that this Six10 looks good. I wonder if the tube and tip would be a little big and inaccurate and messy? What I did was use 5cc plastic irrigation syringes to fill my holes and I found it worked great.

I quickly realized that you can't just blob some epoxy down the hole, it would leave voids that sometimes wouldn't rise to the surface. With the syringe I could fill the hole from the bottom up to eliminate voids. Granted I was using a home brew mix of resin and microfibers and I tend to mix it fairly thick. Even with my method, I had my wife follow me with toothpicks and give the mix a stir in the hole, and she did find a few voids I need to top-off after stirring.

Also, with the syringe, I could fill the hole exactly level with the deck, so no wiping up epoxy. Since I'm writing this much, might as well say that I pre-wet the hole edges with neat epoxy before filling.

So, back to the Six10 stuff, sounds like they have the formula down for viscosity, perhaps you could poke a small hole in the mixing tip that could accurately fill holes with. It would save time as long as it doesn't introduce a clean up mess for each hole.

I wouldn't flinch at the cost, with my method I mixed many small batches, and there was quite a bit wasted as the last of each batch went-off before I got it in the hole.

#4 ·
We sell Six-10 in our store. Plus side, it's convenient. Down side, it's pricey. Bottom line, it works fine. Personally, I still use West 105 and appropriate hardeners and appropriate fillers. I also use Smith's CPES for penetration.

#6 ·
Recommend you read the Special Interest Disclosure thread in the Boat Buying Forum before you get into trouble.

#5 ·
I wonder if you could combine techniques and squirt the product from the Six-10 cartridge into a syringe, then use that to fill the hole from bottom to top?

I have my exterior cabin top rails removed for refinishing and I would like to pot the holes before I reinstall them. I also have interior hand rails that are also attached through the cabin top so I want to pot them at the same time.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.