SailNet Community - View Single Post - Sea Sick
Thread: Sea Sick
View Single Post
Old 03-01-2009

knothead has a spectacular aura about knothead has a spectacular aura about knothead has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay2 View Post
Please share your best sea sick remedies and preventions. How long does one get sick? Will it happen every trip?

I heard of a no fail device that goes on your wrist like a watch and sends electrical pulses to the 3 nerves in your wrist.
Jay, I got one word for ya.

Drugs!

I had a big problem with ear infections when I was a little guy and I think that led to my lifelong problem with motion sickness.
I have literally tried everything.
In my opinion, Meclizine is the best remedy.

Meclizine consumer information from Drugs.com

It's the active ingredient in some of the more well known brands like Dramamine and Bonine.
One little orange flavored, chewable tablet a day. They only take about an hour to take effect but I usually take one the night before a trip. That way I'm not drowsy the next day.

Without drugs, my symptoms usually don't subside until I've been at sea for at least 5 to 7 days. But I am an extreme case. Most people I know only have to suffer for a few days.
But my philosophy is why suffer at all. There is nothing that ruins a nice sail quicker that seasickness.
I avoid it at all costs.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook