SailNet Community - View Single Post - Check this Video...Shipwrecked Family
View Single Post
Old 03-02-2009
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by L124C View Post
Here is a link to "Black Wave" which aired last night on 48 hours. Live To Tell: Black Wave - CBS News Video
The family claims that they had a problem with the boom during the day, and altered course to head into the wind and work on it. They also think the currents may have had a bigger effect on the boat than they realized. How do you not use GPS to figure out where you are, especially before sailing into a dark night? Reminds me of the saying, "When you're lost, an anchor becomes a navigational device....it, keeps you in a place where you aren't sinking." When they hit the reef the wife thought "we're in the middle of the Pacific, we can't hit a reef"! Apparently the fancy boat didn't come with charts! Then, the USCG had a difficult time figuring out where the boat was. When the USCG finely contacted the French Coast Guard, the French wouldn't fly their helicopter until daylight, and then had to make a stop to refuel! Wonder why they wouldn't fly? It was a big bird, at least as big as the Helios I see the USCG flying at night all the time, and the conditions seemed to be mild. The father's leg was hanging on by some tendons and he lost a lot of blood. He Is really lucky to be alive, considering how long it took to fly him out! The French gave him a medal for bravery. As far as I'm concerned, he is the last person that deserved a medal! Don't mean to be harsh, but I say...you run a perfectly good 55', state of the art boat onto in reef in moderate conditions and put 6 other lives in danger, no medal for you!

I'd have to agree. You'd think that with his family aboard, he'd be more cautious rather than less. BTW, if you're close enough to a reef to hit it, you ain't in the middle of the ocean... Also, from what I've read about the incident, there was no one on watch on-deck. If they had had someone on watch, the person on watch may very well have heard the surf breaking on the rocks in time for them to do something. The amount of background noise in moderate conditions in the Southern Pacific is probably quite low.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook