SailNet Community - View Single Post - Barnacles on shaft
View Single Post
Old 03-02-2009

lancelot9898 is on a distinguished road
Pettit Zinc Spray

I have a max prop on my boat for the past 24 years and have tried all sorts of things to keep it clean including a labratory grease which seem to promote barnacle growth rather than deplete it. For the past 10 years I've been using a hard bottom paint, but I do prep it with a underwater primer before application. This includes first sanding the prop, wipeing down with a solvent, then applying interlux vinyl lux primewash and then the primocon primer before the putting a hard bottom paint on. I keep the boat in the Cheaspeake and haul out just every two or three years diving on the boat maybe once a season with minimual cleaning. The boat is used heavily throughout the year only sitting in the slip during the winter months. It is a PITA to prep that prop and I hear that Max Prop is recommending the use of the Pettit Zinc Spray. I am thinking about switching since it seems like a easier application, but I'm not sure if I can get multi season use out of that product. The jury is still out...
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook