SailNet Community - View Single Post - Tiller vs. Wheel
View Single Post
post #4 of Old 10-24-2004
Sailormon6

Tiller vs. Wheel

I also learned to sail and race with a tiller, and have always felt that I got good feedback through the tiller, but if a tiller was the only way you could race a boat efficiently, you''d see tillers on the big racing boats instead of those huge twin wheels.

Using a wheel is very intuitive. The first time I ever used a wheel, I felt comfortable with it right away, and felt nearly as efficient as with a tiller. Also, I believe the wheel makes it easier to maneuver around the docks and to use spring lines, especially if youíre short handed. For example, when docking, you can secure a spring line, lock the wheel and use the engine to hold the boat in position while you attach the other lines. You can do the same with a tiller if it is set up for it, but itís more awkward. What Iím trying to say is that, when youíre docking a smaller boat, you can just muscle it into position. When youíre docking a big, heavy boat, you need to use the motor to move it into position, and the wheel facilitates that.
Quote Share with Facebook

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome