SailNet Community - View Single Post - Online OUPV classes
View Single Post
Old 03-04-2009
Yamsailor

Yamsailor is on a distinguished road
Smile Online OUPV Classes

There are several schools out there that offer these programs. You take the test either at one of the schools testing locations or one of the RECs. You MUST take a test to get your ticker.

I personally do not like the online courses because it is very difficult to learn plotting and Rules of the Road (lights, day-shapes, steering rules etc.) without the ability to ask questions from an instructor as well as discussion with other students. Furthermore, there are less distractions when you have to sit in a classroom versus being at home where phone calls and other distractions can affect your focus.

That being said--the advantage is you can do the course work at your own schedule.

I have a license and I have been a USCG license instructor. I think students do better when they are in the classroom versus in front of the computer. The computer should be used as a supplemental tool and not as the primary means of a lecture.

This license is a professional license, would you want your surgeon to take online courses or have actual experience with a scalpel?

Reply With Quote Share with Facebook