SailNet Community - View Single Post - Teak deck removal or replace
View Single Post
Old 10-30-2004

FalconEddie is on a distinguished road
Teak deck removal or replace

I have done several of these jobs and truly appreciate your apprehension. I have gotten better at it, but the single biggest challenge is to AVOID DAMAGE to the fiberglass below. If the teak is really out of your consideration for repair, the first thing I would do is contact the manufacturer for the likelyhood of a solvent that will dissolve or soften the glue and seam compounds without harming or staining the gelcoat. You may need to provide shade to avoid fast evaporation of solvents prior to their reaching effectiveness. Also, tape off and protect areas adjoining the teak, and only use cheap plastic scrapers against gelcoat. Have a friend from the Great White North ship you some windshield ice scrapers. Once you get the hang of it, it''s just tons of long, grueling hours, endless bags of splintered teak and globs of old sealer and glue, callouses and aching back. Then hire a good gelcoat professional to apply a beautiful, properly segmented non-skid finish where the teak used to be. If the gelcoat is not damaged, they can do the job in one day. Your off sailing and can consider another teak deck sometime in the future, if you want.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook