SailNet Community - View Single Post - Who''s living on what??
View Single Post
Old 10-31-2004

FalconEddie is on a distinguished road
Who''''s living on what??

As far as what I would prefer to be living aboard on ..... okay, money doesn''t count in dreams ..... a Hans Christian 43 for voyaging, a Hinkley 41 for racer/crusier stuff.

Now to the real world. I have a 32.5 on deck fiberglass schooner that I''ve been building for far too many years, having spent one winter aboard in Boston harbor without cabin sides and a single 5K electric heater. 12.5 feet of beam, 4''10" draft, 20,000 lbs with 8500 lbs internal lead ballast. She is slow to turn, stiff and stable, a slow roller, unfinished and completely paid for.

It is a life-sucking, endless, grueling chore of indescribable dimensions to attempt to build a boat you are living aboard and I cannot recommend it to anyone. I have had RATS move aboard, resulting in blood-curdling yelling, swearing and stabbing until they just shut up and left.

But, it''s nearing completion and it is the prettiest character boat in the marina. Everyone loves it. Including the ladies. Too bad I''m too old and wore out working on it to take advantage. It is safe at sea, comfortable, not particularly easy to handle, but predictable. She can be grounded for easy bottomwork at low tide, slides easily over all the lobster and crab pots you see, and is built like the proverbial tank. I''ve painted her with a single part polyurethane topcoat and can touch up the paint with a foam brush in a minute. Why? Because life is too short to get worked up because a novice rubs or bumps you trying to dock.

I have VERY little bare teak and oil it with my own blend of parafin, tung oil and lemon oil at least once a week. It takes ten minutes, looks and smells great and eliminates brightwork maintanence. I have only one berth, in the main saloon, and the headroom is 5''11". I am 5''8" and I sized it for me (and Danny DeVito).

One very important issue about my boat is that it is right for me will outlast me.

I sometimes dress like Joshua Slocum and splice three-strand with a bubble-pipe in my mouth (I don''t smoke) to give tourists the feeling they''ve seen a ''real'' sailor. Well, if you can''t be a character, why have a character boat?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook