SailNet Community - View Single Post - The Cruising Life, by Jim Trefethen, and Cruising Financials
View Single Post
Old 03-06-2009

quidam1947 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to quidam1947
Hey Bluwaterdragon, You're in good company.

I don't have our pics uploaded yet but I can relate to your cruising life style.

Before Bruce and I met, he partially restored an old 1933 trawler in RI. Barely got it floating and headed down the east coast and up the Hudson into the Erie canal to bring the boat to Ohio. Didn't even have the running lights wired when he left the dock (but finished doing so by sundown).

We restored another old boat, 1922 motorsailor that Bruce also found in RI. Launched without any rigging/no power/no accommodations (towed to pilings we rented for the season). The following year we installed an engine, put new sticks up and Bruce slapped together temporary plywood bunks, sleeping bags, a couple of folding bikes, his power tools, a gasoline generator, and then tossed in his kids and a camp stove so we could eat. We made the same trek as before but crossed Lake Ontario into Canada to do the Trent Severne waterway. Bruce worked on building permanet accommodations as we cruised.

These were great days!