SailNet Community - View Single Post - Alternator wiring to batteries
View Single Post
Old 03-07-2009

huguley3 is on a distinguished road
Thanks for the info. My main goal was to make it simpler so that whenever I was plugged into shore power the batteries would get topped up without having to do anything. I don't really mind having the 2 banks but I generally run off both and charge both so I don't use them separately.

My charger will only charge 1 bank its an Xantrex HF 1000.

Now that I am getting over my cold and beginning to think a little better I think I will keep both banks and connect the charger positive to the DC main switch where the alternator connects. Then I can keep the 2 banks and the wiring is simpler. The only more complicated thing is an extra step to flip the switch to both banks when I connect to shore power. Another bonus with that is that if I get one battery that is misbehaving it won't bring the other down with it. I can more easily monitor what is going on with each battery without having to disconnect them from each other.

I guess if I had to do it over again I would have just gotten 2 chargers and forgotten the inverter. Then all I would have had to do is to add another switch on the ac panel and it would have been a lot less messing around to accomplish the same goal.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
30' Islander Bahama
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook