SailNet Community - View Single Post - Opinions on an S2 8.0b
View Single Post
Old 03-07-2009

rperret is on a distinguished road
I looked at an 8.0B a few years ago. It seemed roomy on the inside, traditional layout, etc. Seemed like a sturdy boat that would be a good family cruiser. Check for any water ingress in the deck core since this is a deck stepped mast. Also, make sure the seal on the OMC has not been compromised. Finally since its a spade rudder, check the bushings, etc to make sure there are no issues.

On the other hand ,I didn't like the fact that it lacked inboard jib sheeting, the jib sheeting set up used a snatch block set-up on the toe rail which for me seemed odd. Also, I was a bit concerned with the way the tiller was positioned thru the cockpit floor - seemed a bit flimsy.

I don't think there are any inherent issues with the 8.0B - and would be perfectly fine as a coastal family pocket cruiser. Re headroom - i am 5'8" - and head room was not an issue.

$7.9K seems a little high - but then again its the asking price so you can get 10-20% off that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwaltersmi View Post
Hello S2ers! There's a reposessed 8.0b at my marina that's been listed for over a year now. The price seems decent ($7,900) and she looks to be in decent shape. I plan to take a close look when the weather gets a bit warmer, but can anyone give me an specific advice about looking at used 8.0's? Anyone have any comments on this specific one: 1978 S-2 S-2 Sailboat Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com

I currently sail a 1972 Helms 25 swing keel, but need more room for my family for weekend cruising. Does the 8.0 have standing headroom? Will the 8.0 be a big enough step up from my 25?

The grocery stores the super mart, uh huh
Little girls still break their hearts, uh huh
And men still keep on marching off to war
Electrically they keep a baseball score

The beat goes on, the beat goes on...

Last edited by rperret; 03-07-2009 at 10:33 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook