SailNet Community - View Single Post - IF Folkboat help!!
View Single Post
Old 11-05-2004

Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about
IF Folkboat help!!

I believe that J J Taylor built folkboats and Contessa 26''s (a folkboat hull with a masthead rig)in Canada well into the late 1980''s but in a smaller volume than Marieholm. There were a large number of companies that built variants of the Folkboat. Henry Walton produced a Walton 25 in Canada that was a 1960-1970''s era Folkboat variant with a small doghouse cabin. Cheoy Lee produced the Frisco Flyer which was also a more cruising oriented version of the Folkboat.

In the early 1970''s. I owned and restored a 1949 lapstrake Folkboat built in Sweden. I really loved that boat. For its day it was fast, easy to handle, manuevered well and balanced well.

In fairness, I will say that the Folkboat''s day was sometime in the 1940''s and 50''s. I don''t know why you are so focused on the Folkboat and whether you have ever sailed one, but by any objective standard they are slow, wet, tender, and develop a fair amount of weather helm in a strong breeze, with an extremely cramped interior. The glass boats tried to put way too much stuff (bigger water tanks, heavier more complicated interior, and in many cases an inboard engine) on these very small boats and so the glass boats are 25% heavier, have less ballast, carrying capacity, and less stability. While these boats have an enviable offshore track record, be aware that the glass versions fail to meet the CE criteria to obtain an open ocean certificate based on stability, cockpit drainage, and downflooding issues.

Respectfully,
Jeff
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook