SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

where to attach end-boom gybe preventer

2K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  sailingdog 
#1 ·
hi

humbly soliciting an opinion on yet something else ...

chartering a 40 ft monohull with in mast furling and want to rig an end boom preventer (have read the posts relating to benefits/disadvantages of end-boom vs mid-boom preventers vs boom brakes).

since a charter boat, dont really have an option of adding dedicated hardware for attachment. options for attachment at the boom end are, I guess, line tied directly around boom end vs. line tied/shackled to clew cringle vs tied through cringle around boom vs ... something else i'm not thinking about?

any recommendations for where to attach an end-boom preventer?

#2 ·
Use a spectra loop and run it through the shackle or padeye that the main sheet attaches to. The spectra loop, you can get at REI or EMS or some other outdoor store that carries climbing gear, will prevent the preventer hardware from damaging the boom. :)

#4 ·
Argle,

Whatever you do, DO NOT tie the preventer solely through the clew cringle. There is not enough strength there to prevent an accidental jibe.

I would leave the clew cringle completely out of your thinking. It's an in-mast furling main, so depending on wind conditions that clew cringle could be well forward on the boom, which would not work if you are going for an end-boom preventer led forward to the foredeck. For that arrangement, you need to have the preventer line secured at the end of the boom and led outboard of the shrouds to the foredeck.

My best suggestion is to examine the available hardware mounted at the end of the boom. There may be welded eye there through which you could securely anchor the preventer line and of course tie it around the boom too. There may be a solid point for a snatch block, etc. Or something like what SD suggested, but at the end of the boom.

#6 ·
Xort—

A bail would work, but might not be available on a charter boat. A spectra loop can usually be attached to the end of the boom by threading it through some part and around the boom and then through itself to create a fairly strong and secure attachment point for a preventer.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.