SailNet Community - View Single Post - Hunter Factory Tour! (Lots O Pics)
View Single Post
Old 03-10-2009

eMKay is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melrna View Post
Thank you for sharing with us the tour. Since I own a 2006 Hunter 36 it was interesting to see some photos of one being built. One thing you forgot to mention is the Hunter puts Kevlar in the hull during layup. Did you see this in the new models being built?
When I toured the new Hunters 2009 models at the boat shows I can see a big difference between them. Hunter is now using cheaper materials through out the boat; deck hardware (lesser grade of Harken), concrete/iron keels, no more teak veneer interiors.
I can comment on my electrical and plumbing and how it is built. Electrical systems is a simple system. Hitachi 60 amp alternator, 2X4d's batteries, nice Blue Sea electrical panel, Guest 1,2 both battery switch, Promarine 30 amp battery charger. alarms for low battery voltage and high water alarm. My boat is pre-wired for high water bilge pump, electric fuel pump by fuel filter. Not a bad system for just day cruising or one day on the hook. Any more than that and one has to upgrade everything for which I am in the process of doing. One good thing is everything is easy to get to and running wire is a snap with the conduits.
The plumbing system is all plastic snap compression fittings. All the piping is colored red or blue for hot and cold water. The manifold lives under the sink. Not my favorite place for this. I have some minor leaks in the snap compression fittings throughout the boat. I have got all them to stop except one at the manifold for which is giving me fits. The holding tank in the starboard stern lazzerate is there for the life of the boat. The hold tank indicator on most Hunters fail to work properly. One can see in the photo that the intake shoots waste right at the indicator tube. Bad design in my opinion.
I am not a happy camper with Hunter cheapening the new boats coming off the line today. I hope they don't return to the pre-Henderson days of building crappy boats.
No problem, but I didn't forget to mention the kevlar.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook