SailNet Community - View Single Post - Pullman Berths
Thread: Pullman Berths
View Single Post
Old 03-10-2009
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough
Charlie,

(and absolutely irrelevent to the thread)

First up how was Scott ?

Yes, old thread and all that but the Pullman berth issue is worth discussing.

We nearly bought a Passport 42 last year. One of the great attractions of that boat was the pullman berth aft quarter cabin. She also had a pullman forward as well.

The attraction for an old fart like me is that you do not have do the V-berth spin to get out of bed.

The negative is, as Jeff mentioned a couple of years back () you have to climb over your partner to get out of bed if you have drawn the short straw. Also , it seems to me that most pullman berths are closer to being 3/4 width than full double or queen. I also worried about how clammy it was going to get in hot weather.

My preferred option now would be v-berth with wide head or island in the forward cabin. Useless at sea but can then be used for storage of all the crap you don't want on deck for passage making. If berth is a decent width up front, you can sleep with head forward. Decent ventilation of the forward cabin is essential of course. In order to have decent width up front the v-berth cannot be as far forward as is often the case these days which gives you nice sized locker in the bows and moves the berth closer to amidship.

Difficult to achieve in anything under 40'.

"Do you think God gets stoned? I think so... Look at the platypus." Robin Williams.

Last edited by tdw; 03-12-2009 at 04:45 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook