SailNet Community - View Single Post - Online OUPV classes
View Single Post
Old 03-10-2009

donhaller is on a distinguished road
I have to agree with CaptRJ about online learning not being for everyone, but it sure works great for many and has become a universally accredited method of learning. I'm an Instructional Designer and courseware developer and have a bachelors in Industrial Ed and a Masters in Adult Ed. I have designed classroom, lab, and now online courses. I have developed courses for the nuclear industry and currently for the USAF. Our learners are geographically all over the place and can't always be where a classroom is available. Based upon our assessments we feel confident that the learners are comprehending and retaining the primary course objectives.

However it is crucial that the course content meets the course objectives and there are valid means for the learner to assess their understanding of the material. Additionally, it would be important for me to find out if the OUPV course provider is accredited by the Coast Guard or other organization that has that authority before I paid my money to them. I'd look into where they get their course content and who their subject matter experts were that provided the content. Also see if you can get information from past students on their experiences with the course.

Good Luck

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptRJ View Post
If you take a look at any online course offerings at any community college or even universities such as YALE even prestigious Harvard offer courses online. These online courses, including OUPV are simply not for everyone. If you are not computer savvy you will not enjoy the online experience. Most OUPV classroom courses are for individuals that really need hands on to learn. We have found the students’ requiring the hands on applies mostly to retired, and the recreational boaters. The working Captains are use to online courses/classes. Most Maritime employers have been utilizing computers and simulators for years to train employees. So, if you can comprehend what you read and have an understanding of computer jargon and want to get your captain license minus the instructors’ sea stories. I suggest online. Most schools that offer online have FREE demos. Give them a whirl and decide.