SailNet Community - View Single Post - Gulfstar 50 Ketch
View Single Post
Old 03-11-2009

jday is on a distinguished road
Hi Brian,
I'm now thinking along your response. I spent an hour or two at the boat today, measuring.... An 8' - 4" I-beam (4' in the engine room and 4' extending into the cabin through the front engine way) attached to the engine lifting rings via adjustable ibeam trolleys ( a wheeled car with a lifting eye) on each engine eye connected by shackles seems to be the way to go. I will attach two 2 ton chain hoist to the ibeam. One (A) chain dropped through the hoist plate hole forward of the pedestal (located in the cockpit sole) shackled to a custom eye plate bolted to the ibeam (so as to keep limited clearance) and one (B) in the middle of the companion way hatch attached to the ibeam via scissors clamp. I need to lift the engine 22" and only have 10" of clearance for ibeam and connectors. The engine is 32" from heat exchanger cap to sump bottom and the engine way door is 42" ht. I am hoping that as the i-beam/ engine are lifted to the top of the engine room ceiling, there will be enough clearance to slide the engine via the i-beam trolley cars along the i-beam the 40" into the galley/ companionway area. Hoist B (suspended in the middle of the companion way hatch) will stabilize the i-beam as the engine is slide forward into the cabin. I will also have your plan "B" ready. Do you know if the Perkins 4-154 sump pan will support the weight of the entire engine? Does this sound do-able. I will include pics as I put this together. I hope to clear the engine way with a RCH to spare.... Jeff
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook