SailNet Community - View Single Post - 2 blade or 3 blade propeller
View Single Post
Old 11-08-2004

Mysun is on a distinguished road
2 blade or 3 blade propeller

Jeff,

We had a choice between a two blade and the three blade when we launched the boat for the first time after purchase and decided on the three blade right off the bat. We have not done comparisons between performance of the two vs. three directly on our boat. Compared to other boats we sail with we have absolutely no trouble holding our own. Keeping it in perspective, I''m an ex dinghy racer turned cruiser so - is my sailing ability overcoming the slight drag difference - I don''t know but it might? Most sailors we go out with have more of a set-it and forget it mentality than I do. I prefer to tweak sail trim more than most. Our marina is tight and our slip is a little awkward to get to. I really notice the performance of the prop when docking in heavier winds. The ability to “hit the breaks” when things get a little out of control is a real confidence booster. The weather helm issue you mention is one I have not experienced. The 335 is a fractional rig and it just simply works better with a reef in the main. I’m usually one of the first to reef and my wife prefers it if I keep the boat flat. (Like a dinghy) I hope this helps even if it’s not the science you were looking for.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook