SailNet Community - View Single Post - Islander 37MS owners
View Single Post
Old 03-11-2009

Sailorrivers is on a distinguished road
Reply to seado5491

Mark,
This is very interesting. I am the last guy that tried to purchase this boat from your Inlaws in March. I looked it over real close and have some suggestions regarding how I would approach this sailboat.

Since you are now the proud owner I would recommend that you concentrate on repairing all the structural problems first.

1) The connection of the backstay and the fiberglass really needs some attention. Those cracks do not look good at all. If you are not a fiberglass guy I would get some help. You don't want the mast to come falling down on you. 2) Find someone who knows how to maintain and fix that engine. Make sure any oil leaks etc. get fixed. Clean up that engine compartment. Check out that bilge. If you have oil in there and start discharging it overboard you could get yourself a big fine from the EPA. Many places that offer moorage require a bilge inspection. 3) Replace the broken fiberglass engine beam that is under the engine. 4) Replace the fiberglass beam that is broken under the floor boards under the middle berth. This is going to be difficult to do. It looks like the berth will have to be dismantled and probably the floor will need to be pulled up. 5) While you are doing this it would be a good time to bring the head up to code. The head is currently illegal for Washington waters unless you are off the coast a few miles. You can't discharge raw sewage overboard in Washington waters. You need a pump out fitting and a properly plumbed head and sewage tank. 6) The keel needs some work where there is damage that needs fixing. Do this before you put the boat back in the water.

Get something inside like Dryzair to get the moisture problems taken care of right away. Clean all that mold and mildew that is collecting on the headliner and other places immediately. Check the main sail and jib immediately to stop mold. The companionway slider hatch leaks and needs to be fixed. All of the caulking at the windows and port holes needs to be replaced or you will have more moisture problems that will wreck your interior wood.

Look over the various ropes real close. You may need to replace halyard lines and sheets real soon.

Obviously it needs a stove, diesel cabin heater, and ice box. Curtains would be good to prevent some UV rays and give you some privacy. It may be a good idea to find/purchase a backup motor for a while. Remember the definition of boat - break out another thousand !

I have more ideas if you are interested but I don't want to be a pain.

Good luck,
Dan
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook