SailNet Community - View Single Post - Financial Guidance?
View Single Post
Old 11-10-2004

WHOOSH is on a distinguished road
Financial Guidance?

Willy, glad to hear the website info is serving its purpose. It''s only there to ''pay it forward'' a bit, given the help I''ve received from others.

I''m not sure if you missed my main point, or if we just see it differently...but I don''t think most cruising sailors'' financial planning needs are that unique. The same short- and longer-term planning issues exist IMO whether the person quit work to pile aboad an RV, began running a volunteer program at the local church or is out sailing somewhere. (The number of sailors who are operating exclusively in foreign currencies and for extended periods of time is actually quite small, I''ve come to understand.)

Put another way, the financial planning needs are just as critical as with any other group...but also pretty much generic in nature. If you''d like to read an informative of how financial planning relates to vessel selection, and how cruise planning might fit within the longer period of financial planning issues, you might take a look at Beth Leonard''s Voyager''s Handbook. She''s done some very helpful writing on that topic, I think.

Jack
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook