SailNet Community - View Single Post - Winter care of Sunbrella
View Single Post
Old 11-10-2004

PaulBl is on a distinguished road
Winter care of Sunbrella

Mine is about 7 years old and so I need to tend to it regualrly. If you wash it with a mild soap and light brush you''ll want to retreat it. Don''t put it in a machine. You don''t need to use that much effort. Actually a light brush and water may do most of the job.

Scotch Gaurd is about the best. The old stuff was better than the new stuff but my canvas guy could not say why. I also sggest the 303 protectant as it acts like a sunscreen against the UV. It''s the UV that eventually destroys the sunbrella. The 303 is not a water replant though. Both are good to use. Use the 303 a couple times a year. You just apply it and let it dry.

If it was stictched with Sunbrella thread expect the thread to not last as long as the canvas. Expect to pay a 10% of full replacement cost charge to restitch the canvas. For me it adds about 3 years of extra life. a canvas place should be able to do it and you won''t really be able to tell (other than the seams will be strong).

When geting new canvas done always spend the little extra money and use technora thread. It is made of GoreTex and will outlast the canvas. Sunbrtella thread is only "treated" against UV and won''t last as long as the canvas will. Technora is warranted to outlast the fabric. It takes a slightly larger needle to sew with so ask your canvas person.

You know the threads are going when you can run your finger along the seam and the stitches break. You''ll see it give out in hightstress areas too. You know you need a full restitch at that point. You won''t win that battle with mending. It means the thread is failing from UV. A well sewn fabric won''t need to be mended. The thread should be stronger than the fabric.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook