SailNet Community - View Single Post - more on old IOR boats
View Single Post
Old 11-10-2004

greenrayled is on a distinguished road
more on old IOR boats

I own a S&S designed 25 ft ''73 IOR boat, have sailed her all over and lived aboard over 25 years now. I can say that not all boats of this era are the same. This boat is very well found, and with the deep heavy lead fin keel, deep full skeg rudder, and low freeboard, she never gets squirrely in any conditions. I can carry the big light air spinnaker with such a small amount of wind you can barley feel it, and she is responsive enough to keep it flying, but if the wind picks up, you can get the ''chute down with one person without ever getting out of control. She has a fairly quick motion, other than that is comfortable in bluewater, much more comfy than many more ''modern'' designs I''ve sailed on! Don''t forget, S&S were noted to be conservative and put the boat first and rules second. I have a big 496 sg ft gennacker I use attached to the anchor roller as a ''sprit, the boat is plenty stiff enough to carry it, and it makes her roll along in the mid sevens all day and night even with a full cruising load. Yee hah! I do use a sock with it, bringing it down at 2am without one would be no fun. We have sailed upwind in 70 kts and 30-35 ft seas with panache. She is a powerfull performer, upwind and down, as long as the right sails are used. There are dis-advantages, of course,...not much headroom, can get wet upwind, not much room on the foredeck with the narrow bow, too much draft for the Bahamas, no vee berth (that is not such a disadvantage, I have a fully enclosed shower under the sail hatch there, so if I put a wet sail down, so what?)but these are really pretty minor quibbles mostly.
Webb Chiles also favours old IOR boats...remember him?
She is beamy in the mid sections, it makes her look like a fat old duck from behind. But that beam is part of what gives her so much power. And with the deep draft and plenty of ballest, she is very safe. We just survived Ivan ''on the hook'', and she was un-fazed, as always.
So don''t discount a boat just because it is an old IOR boat, some of them are really great bluewater cruisers in their old age!-Ken
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook