SailNet Community - View Single Post - Guadalupe & Dominica
View Single Post
Old 03-13-2009

edsml is on a distinguished road
Gwada and Dom

Eileen,

I was there for Xmas and NY. I can't comment on the current strife, but I highly recommend Guad as a sailing destination. Yes, I would say it is difficult w/o speaking French, but I tried a little and found no rudeness. What was most frustrating was getting info beforehand by e-mail or telephone in english.

If you can make all arrangements, I'm sure you'll have a great time. The sailing distances, islands, anchorages, winds are all ideal. I too loved Dominica, and may return for a land trip (and by all means sail down), but for sailing/island-hopping, Guad is hard to beat.

I would recommend Marie Galante first, as the winds may not be cooperative to sail there from Dominica, then Les Saintes are a must. I went up the river and around Basse Terre, but would skip the western coast/Pigeon Island next time.

Edward

P.S. You asked about Sunsail-- The marina is great and the base manager was one of the best I've ever worked with (once there). Unfortunately, it is beside a bar/restaurant, so a bad place for a sleepaboard. If you have two hours of daylight, you can make it out to Ilet Gosier and dinghy ashore to the town.

Last edited by edsml; 03-13-2009 at 09:05 PM. Reason: sunsail
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook