SailNet Community - View Single Post - 2 blade or 3 blade propeller
View Single Post
Old 11-11-2004

WHOOSH is on a distinguished road
2 blade or 3 blade propeller

John, I apologize for backing you up a bit in your considerations but I notice you are going to reprop and then use your boat (a Hood 38, right?) for cruising.

Where are you thinking of cruising? And to what extent will you be wanting to use marinas, refuel and otherwise maneuver in close confines? And finally, do you have a bow thruster?

I mention all this because I find, more and more, that prop walk is far more often our ally than our opponent when maneuvering, and that this growing awareness has resulted from the cruising areas we''ve frequented (less so in the Caribbean, moreso in some parts of the NE USA and Europe). And our boat is not unlike your own (42 x 33 x 21,000#). WHOOSH does have a bow thruster - it''s my wife, with a boat hook - but even so, we pretty much have to rely on what we can make the boat do via the engine, and by being cagey about wind direction. INVICTUS is also a fair amount of boat for the engine she carries and I believe, like us, lacks the deep fin around which a boat might otherwise pivot a bit more sharply.

I''m not sure any of this argues against a Campbell prop. Guess I just wanted to stir some add''l reflection of the benefits of prop walk given the limitations we otherwise probably share. <g>

Jack
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook