SailNet Community - View Single Post - Oil Change experience - Lessons Learned
View Single Post
Old 03-14-2009

boatpoker is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by pirateofcapeann View Post
I hate to be the barer of bad news, but this may be for the better. I''d check with the owner''s manual about the type of oil to use in your diesel engine. Most like a single weight fleet type oil and don''t recommend the multi grades. There''s a round API service label on quart bottles of oil and there''s a specific grading for diesel engines. Make sure your using the right oil!

Another trick for draining the oil sump is to remove the drain plug and pipe in some 3/8-inch or 1/2-inch brass piping up to where you can put a suction hose from your pump onto it with out spilling! The wider pipe will make the task go faster and being at the drain will allow you to get it all. Make sure you put a cap on it when you’re done! Try running the engine a while first to get the oil hot and lower it''s viscosity. That will help it flow faster too.

Pi
This can be done with the correct hose but DO NOT connect a brass or copper tube to the oil pan drain fitting ! The constant vibration will "work harden" the tube, it will be come very brittle and disintegrate depositing all your oil in the bilge.