SailNet Community - View Single Post - Updated Offshore Cruising Boat List - January 2008
View Single Post
Old 03-14-2009

Sanduskysailor is on a distinguished road
I just looked at the list for the first time. Undoubtedly there are some good boats for offshore work on there. Then again there are some laughable ones. Tartan 3500, uh the same boat that auto tacks in 15 knots apparent with a genoa? (I've sailed on one more than once to confirm this)No thanks. The author lists the S&S designed Yankee 30 which is the same boat as the more popular Tartan 30 which is not listed. My close friend has a Niagra 35. No way would he want to do anything in it other cruise to the Caribbean every winter. The Niagara 31 listed is a Frers design that is more suited for club racing than cruising. Pearson 422, 424. Uh, ok if you never have to sail to weather. Didn't some of the Island Packets listed have trouble with following seas? I remember reading something about it years ago.

For those talking about successful offshore passages as a criteria I submit that it is a very broad term. To some offshore passages might mean offwind tradewinds passagemaking the South Pacific. To others it might be crossing the Gulfstream and venturing into the North Atlantic. If you are considering purchasing a boat for that around the world cruise do your homework and have a good weather router and carefully consider the conditions that you will encounter.

Check this recent article out from Sailing Anarchy- scotw

"Battered Woman

We only know her as “lasergirl,” but the balls it takes to post this pic of the monster bruise she suffered during the Heineken Regatta make her our Sailor Chick of the Week. Her pole dancing ability doesn't hurt, either. Here's lasergirls report after the 35' Beneteau she was driving capsized and sank on their approach to Oyster Pond:

The boat that sank outside of Oyster Pond was Anita- a Beneteau Oceanis 343. She capsized after being struck by a 15 ft. breaking wave, in the channel entrance to Oyster Pond. I was driving the boat at the time of the accident. It was the scariest experience of my life. Luckily, all the crew are safe. My only regret is that I did not follow my instinct, which was to not attempt that approach and make the Moorings come out and skipper their boat in themselves. I saw that the boat in front of me made it, and the Moorings told me to come on in, so I figured it wasn't as bad as it looked. Boy I was wrong.

On the bright side, everyone that we met after the accident (Moorings employees, sailors, airport personnel, flight attendants etc.) were unbelievably kind and helpful. I have never felt so helpless in all my life, and it was amazing that people really stepped up to help. Thank you to all of you out there. Your kind supportive words are greatly appreciated.

I look forward to sailing in the Caribbean again. However, I will certainly be steering clear of Oyster Pond. For right now I will stick to my Laser, much easier to recover ;-)
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook