SailNet Community - View Single Post - more on old IOR boats
View Single Post
Old 11-11-2004

greenrayled is on a distinguished road
more on old IOR boats

Well, I''ve owned sailed and lived aboard mine for over 25 years, and the guy I bought it from was the original owner, in his 70''s then, now dead it seems. But she does have the A-4 with vee drive. I want to change that to a diesel electric hybrid. Nothing against the A-4, it has served well, but it is not very fuel efficient and is heavy...and now that the oil pan has rusted out it seems an opportunity.
She is a fun boat to sail.
Regarding a couple of other notes, about the yawing downwind in big seas, it yaws with or without big sails but less than some other boats I''ve been on. Much less than some of the modern designs with the spade rudders. The full skeg helps with that as well as helps the rudder keep it grip.
And about weight carring, I have sailed on the Flicka and the Catalina 27 and a Grampion (SP?) about the same size, the all did worse performance wise than my boat when fully loaded. Of course, I never had four 250 lbs guys sitting on the rail! But I think any smaller boat will show it when you add cruising weight. -Ken
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook