SailNet Community - View Single Post - more on old IOR boats
View Single Post
Old 11-11-2004

greenrayled is on a distinguished road
more on old IOR boats

Yes, most S&S boats at any rate were noted to be upwind witches and the NorthStar 500 is indeed close winded and powerful. Also wet, if you insist on putting your nose into the blow. But I have no qualms at all pointing her into 40 kts and big seas...just shut the hatch and clamp the potholders down on the stove, it''s gonna be a ride! When really into it, I have seen her roar down the front side of a sea and then stick her bow into the next sea all the way to the mast, then lift up and throw all that water into the cockpit. Urgh! But it doesn''t seem to slow her down much.
These boats can be very solidly built. When I last crossed lake Okeechobee (SP?) several years back, the keel hit a submerged log that stopped us instantly from 6.5 kts. No visible damage. (I did not dive and look at the time, too many alligators around! But I did a few weeks later.)
There are NO stress cracks...none, anywhere on this well used hard sailed boat of 31 years. And there were no blisters for the first 18 years, then I sanded and re-painted, and now I have had a few small ones at the waterline.
But, the stb. toe rail DOES leak (when the present batch of goop fails once again), has done so forever, such a PITA to fix I never have.
The only other thing I intend to address someday is adding an inner forestay and running backs, so I can hang the storm jib inboard and also to prevent mast pump in some conditions. That is caused by the shrouds not being any fore and aft. -Ken
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook