SailNet Community - View Single Post - Radar - Stern Mount or Mast Mount
View Single Post
Old 03-16-2009
old guy :)

rikhall will become famous soon enough
Stern mount was our choice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faster View Post
Both approaches obviously work... I'd argue that the extra range from a mast mount is not a significant advantage at the speeds and the conditions that we use our radar - I've never had it on max range anyhow.
Hey - I do not know who Faster is, but I sure agree with him.

This is our second boat with radar, this is our second stern mount set up.

Things we considered:
  • we store our boat with the mast down - so, with stern mount, nothing to disconnect and no extra hole in the deck near the mast to possibly leak
  • we too, never use the radar on max range - except maybe to say - "see that blob 16 miles away - that's Grand Manan Island!"
  • we most often use it at 1.5 miles to 3 miles, Ya gotta watch out for all those lobster boats!
  • Did not clutter our stern at all - actually - makes a nice back rest to lean against when standing at the stern as well as something to grab onto climbing up the stern ladder
  • Gave me a place to hang extra antennas (Here is a of the mount on the last boat)

• Being of frugal mind and empty pockets - the stern mount unit cost me less than 60 bucks total - Look at my link here
All that said, some of my best friends have mast mounts

Rik

Last edited by rikhall; 03-16-2009 at 10:28 AM. Reason: forgot to add picture link
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook