old guy :)
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Fredericton, NB, Canada
Thanked 14 Times in 12 Posts
Rep Power: 10
Stern mount was our choice
Both approaches obviously work... I'd argue that the extra range from a mast mount is not a significant advantage at the speeds and the conditions that we use our radar - I've never had it on max range anyhow.
Hey - I do not know who Faster
is, but I sure agree with him.
This is our second boat with radar, this is our second stern mount set up.
Things we considered:
- we store our boat with the mast down - so, with stern mount, nothing to disconnect and no extra hole in the deck near the mast to possibly leak
- we too, never use the radar on max range - except maybe to say - "see that blob 16 miles away - that's Grand Manan Island!"
- we most often use it at 1.5 miles to 3 miles, Ya gotta watch out for all those lobster boats!
- Did not clutter our stern at all - actually - makes a nice back rest to lean against when standing at the stern as well as something to grab onto climbing up the stern ladder
- Gave me a place to hang extra antennas (Here is a of the mount on the last boat)
- Being of frugal mind and empty pockets - the stern mount unit cost me less than 60 bucks total - Look at my link here
All that said, some of my best friends have mast mounts
Irwin Citation 34
Last edited by rikhall; 03-16-2009 at 10:28 AM.
Reason: forgot to add picture link