SailNet Community - View Single Post - Diesel versus propane
View Single Post
Old 03-16-2009

JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by stephenronning View Post
I had a diesel stove which was our heater on our 36 footer and I loved it. In my opinion it's superior to propane. However on my 25 footer I wouldn't even consider it. I'd choose propane. Thing about propane is it's wet. You may experience water on the headliner and stuff like that.
Good luck,
Stephen
Cal 2-25
sv SIRIUS
Seattle
Stephen,

You're correct, one byproduct of propane combustion is H2O. Propane stoves and ovens will produce a fair bit of moisture in the cabin if used for long periods.

But most of the improved propane heaters, such as those sold by Dickinson (the Newports, for example), have sealed combustion chambers that exhaust all the moisture out of the cabin through a chimney. The chimneys are double-walled, so they also draw air for combustion from outside of the cabin.

Force 10 used to market a little bulkhead propane heater that lacked the sealed combustion chamber. If your only propane heater experience is with that model (now offered by Sigma, I believe), be prepared for a pleasant surprise!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Pacific Seacraft Crealock 31 #62

NEVER CALLS CRUISINGDAD BACK....CAN"T TAKE THE ACCENT
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook