SailNet Community - View Single Post - Questions about a possible first-time charter
View Single Post
Old 03-16-2009

FrancoC is on a distinguished road
Questions about a possible first-time charter

I used to sail every weekend when I was a teenager. Now I'm married (no boat since teenage years) and the sailing bug is gnawing at me again. My wife's only experience with any type of sailboat is the couple of times we rented a Hobbie 14 at the beach. A friend of mine did a sailing vacation where he shared a crewed sailboat with a few other couples in the BVI. The captain would sail the boat to a new place in the morning, then they would get lunch cooked by the captain's wife, and spend the afternoon snorkeling or sailing some more. I thought something like this would be a good option for the wife's first cruising experience. Rather than doing it out of the BVI, which seems quite expensive to get to, I would probably rather do it from Belize or the Bahamas. Oh, by the way, my friend, having never been on a boat before, said it was probably the best vacation he ever took.

Any comments regarding the "shared boat" charter? Any charter companies that I should contact for information? Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook