SailNet Community - View Single Post - Updated Offshore Cruising Boat List - January 2008
View Single Post
Old 03-16-2009

shawnkillam is on a distinguished road
Camaraderie,
I would have to respectfully disagree with regards to the information being easily found on Google. I have devoted the vast majority of my free time for the last year and a substantial amount of time prior to that researching and trying to find information on this topic. Finding information about what people like about their boats is easy. The reverse, (at least for me) has been very difficult. As a friend of mine says no man ever married an ugly woman, had a dumb dog, or bought a bad boat.
The lack of negative information with regards specific boats may also be a function of forum rules and fear of litigation. If you read through the postings in most cases, even when people have been severely wronged by charter companies, yacht brokers, repair outfits etc they very rarely come out and name the offending party.
As to the thousands of boats list, yes that is probably to a certain extent true but I think that it could be limited with a little common sense although I do conceed that common sense is not that common. Hobie cats could probably be eliminated as potential blue water cruisers but I am sure there is someone out there who is on there way to Hawaii on a H16 who would object.
As I mentioned the most important thing to me would be the "why" which is also from my point of view the most important thing concerning those boats included in the list of blue water choices. I have a friend who would not raft to a Hunter for fear that it would sink while he was going to the dock. Why he cannot explain. While the Hunter owners I know think they are the bee's knees.
It may be that as an experienced Blue water cruiser these things may be self evident to you, but to those of us flailing about under piles of glossy manufactures adverts a bit of "why this is bad" or "why this is good" from the experienced members of the forum would be most helpful.

thank you sk
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook