SailNet Community - View Single Post - Carribean questions
View Single Post
Old 03-16-2009

imagine2frolic is on a distinguished road
Since you are Canadian, and this is just my humble opinion. I would give the Bahamas first shot. It's less stress to get to, and the anchorages go from complete solitude to a very busy social life. You will most likely never have to anchor in over 15 feet. You will not be able to see the Bahamas in detail in a couple of decades. Going from island to island there's only one check in, and no check out.

What kind of boat you will have will have a reflection on the answers. I have sailed my cat from St. Maarten to N.E. Florida. In, and out of the Bahamas for 4 seasons, and have never been charged double in a marina. You do get the most undesirable slip most times, because of size though. At the end of the T on a dock. The again the stabvility from width makes a rough slip a comfortable one.

For years I sailed a 30ft. mono. I sailed from S.F. Ca. to P.V. Mexico, and back to S.F. I can promise you this about a cat at anchorage. It will be much more comfortable. When I see monos rolling we get a WEE bit of movement, but we don't roll. Everybody gets use to what they have, so what makes one person ill may not another.

We constantly invite strangers, because of their curiousity of the boat. One of the first things they say is how calm the boat is. Usually their boat sits only a few hundred feet away.

Protection from the sun is very important for you, and the boat. The more shade you can give a boat & yourself the more comfortable it will be. That goes for ventilation too. On my 30 footer. I used a small windscoop in the forward hatch, and it kept us very comfortable in Mexico......i2f

BORROWED, No single one of us is as smart as all of us!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook