SailNet Community - View Single Post - We're in the Bahamas :)
View Single Post
Old 03-17-2009
I'd rather be sailing

labatt will become famous soon enough
We're in the Bahamas :)

The ride was a bit rough over... I had to head a bit farther north so we could motorsail without flogging our sails to death. Wind was highly variable between 10-20kts, usually around the 14-17 area. Waves in the morning leaving Biscayne were 4-5ft and short period, so we were pounding for a while. We hit a few 8-9 footers, but that's to be expected on a day with 4-5 footers. I'm glad we took our dorades off and sealed 'em up. The waves actually moderated by the afternoon and became more like 2-3ft. We ended up grounding Pelican trying to get into Bimini Sands Marina at dead low tide (go figure), so we headed south 10 miles to Gun Cay. We dropped the hook in a completely unprotected bay, but it was forecast to be a calm night. That would be why we got hit by a 39.5kt gust and winds were running 20-25kts all night and stirring up a commensurate sea state. It was not a good night, but our Rocna held strong in the sand and we didn't budge at all. I ended up sleeping in the cockput since I couldn't get to sleep in our V-Berth (we were "getting air" off the waves). Today we headed back up to South Bimini, launched the dinghy (not easy to launch a 180lb dinghy off the foredeck and a 120lb motor off of the aft deck when there's seas) and sounded our way in using a handheld depthfinder. And here we are... we put up a blog post at s/v Pelican - Following A Dream.
s/v "Pelican" Passport 40 #076- Finished Cruising - for the moment -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
"Don't dream your life, live your dream" - Bob Bitchin'
"I'll see it when I believe it" - Me
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook