I was heading downwind to get around a bouy to the north and port, and the current was pushig me past the bouy to the south, coming in from the SE. Double reefed, was trying to get by with out gybing, would have done it, if a BIG roller would not have come thru and rolled me port, so the wind caught the main on that side, boome went 180 SB to port, and broke at the back end of the vang connection, and also about where the lower shroud is. Which I believe is where the boom stopped at. Would have possily continured had the 110 jib been up vs down trying to get the strom jib up for the upwind leg. Decided the better part of valor was to motor home.
We may very well have ended up quitting any way if under jib alone, as my HP is halfway between the start and turn bouy. Race was about 12-13 mile north and south route as the crow flies.
Overall a good day, one sailmake has 22 bags of sails to repair. a few other odds and ends to fix. Ordered a new boom and gooseneck for my rig a bit ago. ~$400 plus shipping from east coast. About half of what I thought a boom would be. Two locals tried, Thanks to the folks at CSR and NW Rigging for there efforts.
Sounds like I will be on the line for CSS#3. a 30'ish mile south to north sail! Hopefully something a bit less but still steady like last saturday vs race one, which had lulls to just over 20 knots in less than 15 min, SW to 15 then out of NW to 22 in less than 100 yds! Lots of fun if the spin was up! Typical March sailing!