SailNet Community - View Single Post - The Samurai Files
View Single Post
Old 03-17-2009

serah is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to serah
Reefing Point too far above the boom?

Today I'm curious about reefing. Samurai only has one reefing point (and had nothing set up to actually do so.) On our shake-down weekend trip home from Victoria, we added a cunningham, which will double as the reefing point at the tack. We also added lengths of line at the reefing points along the new foot, and a length of line to take the load at the clew. It's not ideal, but it's what we have.

Here's my question - how close to the boom should the new tack be? Our mainsail is attached with sail slides, which are blocked from falling out with a split cotter pin where the track widens. This is about 8" above the highest position for the boom (the height is adjustable.) However, we've found that the best position for the boom at full sail is another 6'" below that. Say we go to reef - our reef point is now 14" or so above the boom, and we've only taken maybe 6" of sail down and left her with some disturbing sail sag. I *can* raise the boom to make up 6" of that, but this seems like a lot of fussing to reef (especially considering I will already have to untie the cunningham, rethread it through the reefing point, and reattach it) and potentially hazardous to be moving the boom about in high winds.

So, what am I doing wrong? Do I need to be concerned? How do I fix this? Will I be putting too much force on that pin? Does anyone have any suggestions to cure the shared cunningham/reefing line? We'd discussed adding a hook at the boom to simply attach the reef point to, but obviously this won't work if the slides won't come down any lower...

HELP!