SailNet Community - View Single Post - Diesel versus propane
View Single Post
Old 03-17-2009
Bristol 45.5 - AiniA

killarney_sailor is on a distinguished road
Didn't live onboard the Niagara

Quote:
Originally Posted by zAr View Post
That's exactly the kind of boat I'm looking at, and in exactly the same location too, so I'm particularly interested in your wintering experiences.

Ok, I didn't know this. I hadn't considered water heating. Gah, another variable to consider.

Question: Do you find that the balsa cored hull on the Niagara helps reduce condensation and keep heat in?
I did not move onboard until I got my Bristol and am living on it in NYC which is noticeably warmer than Toronto - about 6C warmer on average for the year. I quite like the Paloma although they are getting pretty old now and they do not make them for boats anymore (someone else does make a propane water heater). Most boats with hotwater have a miniature version of a household heater that gets heat either from 110v or from engine heat.

My Bristol does not have cored hull. I think that the Niagara with a cored hull would be better for condensation. We have lined most lockers with the silver bubble paper that you can get at Home Depot and elsewhere. That has helped but condensation is a problem.

The cored hulls should be fine unless holes have been drilled into the core and bedding has not been kept up. This is most likely the case if the boat has a rub rail attached (not very common on Mk 1 Niagaras but common on Encores). Both the CS and Niagara have cored decks and make sure you do not large amounts of wet core here unless the price reflects this since it is a costly repair. Wet core is very common because there are so many holes through the core for deck fittings. Minor wet areas are not too hard to fix but the price should still reflect this. You may be able to find a boat where the deck has been repaired properly.

Good look with your search
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook