SailNet Community - View Single Post - Protecting PVC Dinghy?
View Single Post
Old 03-18-2009

Michael K is on a distinguished road
This might be a solution....

I came across this a few years ago. It's called DinghyTow and, yes, there's a web site. Essentially, it enables one to hoist a dinghy's transom up to stern rail height; sort of a semi-davit system. You end up dragging your dinghy backwards but with only the bow still floating. Advantages: it eliminates the hassles and clutter of putting your dinghy on deck; if your dinghy has an o/b it would be high and dry; it eliminates painters to foul your mother ship's prop; the dinghy remains in position and, thus, under control; finally, if the dinghy ships any water it will only be as much as the bow can hold.

Now, I can't say if this is a good solution for passagemaking. It certainly does permit many coastal cruisers to have a larger dinghy and greater convenience. It probably costs about the same as one appointment with a chiropractor. I'll probably try to make a facsimile rather than buy the actual product but, before I do, I'd like to get other opinions. Obviously, I have no financial interest in the company.

Michael
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook